vGIS has multiple positioning methods, including using QR codes. QR code-based positioning requires an initial job site setup and calibration steps within the vGIS AR app.
Note: vGIS does not require updating original models with QR codes - QR codes within vGIS are independent from the model.
Follow the steps below to utilize vGIS's QR code-based positioning:
- Identify a few points around your job site. These points can be located on walls,, floors or ceilings and should be safe to access. In the area where users begin using vGIS AR, you need two points 5-7m/15-20ft apart. Other points can be spaced 20-25m/60-100ft throughout the job site.
- Record the Latitude/Longitude/Elevation or X/Y/Z coordinates of designated points. The type (Lat/Long/Elevation or X/Y/Z) is determined by the data set you intend to use. If you intend to use the dataset in Global Coordinate System (e.g., with GNSS), use Lat/Long/Elevation. For datasets that exist in Site Coordinate System only, use X/Y/Z.
- The points can be measured with a total station or GNSS.
- Alternatively, you can pick such point from your model if you know the exact physical location of each point in the model.
- Navigate to the vGIS's QR Code Generator. It can also be accessed on the vGIS website (www.vGIS.io) under, QR Code Generator in the footer section.
- Enter either Local or Geographic coordinates for a point, using the toggle at the top of the screen to switch between the two and click Generate.
- Print or Download the generated code.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for all designated points on the job site.
- Place printed QR codes over the physical points. The point should be in the middle of the QR code.
Tip: you can use the "Note" field on the QR generation form to add notes to your QR codes to simplify their management.
QR Code-based Calibration (vGIS AR application)
- In the vGIS AR app, click calibrate or re-calibrate. Note: Make sure GNSS connection is turned OFF.
- On the action bar, press QR Code.
- Scan your first QR Code.
- Proceed to a second QR code and scan it. Alternatively, you can skip this step and align the app manually by pressing “vGIS” button.
- Enable required layers.
- Your AR dataset should load. If no data appears, make sure the appropriate layers are turned ON, verify your Team/Project or check whether you have the right coordinates.
Position Corrections - AR Drift Compensation (vGIS AR application)
When using vGIS AR app without a GNSS or Total Station, the system will accumulate "drift" - the visuals will gradually shift from their original location. To fix the drift, you can either re-calibrate (see the previous section, Steps 1-4) or fix the drift by scanning the nearest QR code. To do so:
- In the AR mode, press Tools and then QR Code.
- Scan the nearest QR Code to adjust your position.
- Fix your alignment using the Adjust button, if required.