To add a ArcGIS Map/Feature service data source, click on the global "+" sign on the top left corner of the portal and select the Data Source option.
Adding an ArcGIS Map/Feature service as a data source:
- Select 'ArcGIS Map/Feature Services' from the Type drop-down box.
- Next, choose a Security type.
- Indicate if the data source is an ArcGIS Online or Enterprise by enabling the toggle.
- Choose between real-time or persistent integration by enabling the toggle.
- Provide the map/feature service URL.
- Enter security type-specific settings (only when required).
- Press the Save button to continue.
You will receive a message at the bottom of your screen notifying you that your data source was created. You should now be able to locate this data source on the Data Sources page.
Choosing a security type
There are four security type settings: public, password, token, and active directory (NTLM).
- Public security type is used for unprotected URLs where no username or password authentication is required to access the data in ArcGIS.
- Password security type is used when users need ArcGIS credentials (Online or Enterprise) to access the data. This security type requires you to enter an authentication URL, username, and password.
- The following authentication URL is common for ArcGIS Online URLs https://arcgis.com/sharing/rest/generateToken. If it fails, please contact your GIS administrator to obtain the authentication URL.
- Token security type is used when the URL is protected by a token. This security type requires you to enter a token obtained from your GIS administrator. We suggest setting the token expiry date to at least a month (preferably, a year) to avoid data synchronization issues.
- Active Directory security type is used when the URL uses diverse proxy and active directory authentication to access the data. This security type requires you to enter a username and password.
If your Map/Feature service is hosted in ArcGIS Online, then enable the ArcGIS Online toggle switch. Leave the toggle off if your Map/Feature service is hosted in ArcGIS Enterprise.
If you want to enable real-time access to your data, enable the Real-Time toggle. When enabled, vGIS will not cache any of the GIS data. Instead, for every request coming from the end-user, vGIS will request data for the area directly from your GIS.
Note: real-time data access provides higher security as no data is cached/stored within vGIS. However, higher security comes at the expense of performance. The system needs to reach out to the GIS for each request, increasing the latency and delays on the user side, or even timing out.